Choosing the right domain name for your brand is easier said than done. With so many possibilities and so many angles of your brand that you want to highlight, and yet so little space to encapsulate it all, picking the right domain is an exercise in extreme creativity.
However, even after you've found the perfect name, there comes the matter of choosing between a local vs global extension. That's exactly what we're hoping to help you tackle with today's post.
Keep reading to learn the benefits of both global and local domain names. By the end, you'll have all the details you need to make an informed decision.
Why Choose a Global Domain Name
Choosing a global domain name like .COM, .NET or .ORG comes with a variety of benefits, including but not limited to:
- Accessibility: Global domains like the .COM are available through virtually every domain registrar out there. You'll be hard-pressed to find a provider that does not support this extension. Whereas local domains are typically only offered by a limited number of registrars.
- Affordability: It's possible to register a .COM domain name for as little as a few U.S. dollars. For instance, you can register a .COM domain through us for just $12.25/year, which works out to $1 per month. Registering a local domain can cost $29 per year or even more.
- Ease: There are no special requirements for registering a .COM domain name. As long as you can make the payment, you'll be good to go. Local domains can carry extra requirements. In some cases, a local domain can only be registered by someone who holds an especific nationality, residence, or tax identification.
- Recognition: Last but surely not least is the level of recognition enjoyed by global extensions. Most people will assume your website is on a .COM extension unless you explicitly tell them otherwise. In fact, even if all your materials highlight your local extension, there's a good chance that some of your audience will still enter the .COM version by habit.
Why Choose a Local Domain Name
While local domains may feel cumbersome with all the extra steps involved, they may be worthwhile for your brand if the following benefits resonate with you:
- Better Availability: Choosing the right domain name is hard enough. But what makes the process even harder is the sheer saturation of global extensions like .COM. Local domains, on the other hand, can help you secure a URL for your brand that's short, memorable, and even catchy. That's because there are a lot more local domains available than global extensions.
- Default Local Search Setup: If you use a local domain name, then search engines like Google will automatically position your website for a local audience. Your content will be prioritized for searchers from within that especific country. However, the same effect can be achieved by setting up Google Search Console and changing the geolocation targeting of your business there.
While local domain names are not without merit, they still pale in comparison to the many perks offered by a global extension like the .COM.
If you would like to register a .COM domain or any other popular extension for your business, be sure to start your search at WinkHosting. We specialize in offering robust domain registration across dozens of extensions.